“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” Paul Sweeney


Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thorn in My Heart

Thorn in My Heart by Liz Curtis Higgs was recommended to me by the good folks at Amazon based on my love for the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. The story is set in the 17oo's of Lowland Scotland. It follows the story from the Bible of Jacob stealing his brother's birthright and fleeing to his uncle's home to find a wife. His uncle tricks him into marrying the older sister first in exchange for working for him for free. Of course nothing goes as planned for poor Jacob or our hero Jamie either and the story ventures a little from the original Bible story. The novel is filled with historically accurate details, language and descriptions of Scottish customs. The real story here is not of Jamie and his love for the younger sister, Rose (Rachel in the Bible) but of the older sister, Leana. It is Leana's pain I felt as the pages wound down and she turned to God with her sorrow of loving a man who did not love her in return. Although the story wore on in the beginning with its predictable story line in the end it was an enjoyable title. I will be glad to move onto something more compelling, however, and I'm not sure how quick I will be to pick up another book in this series.