“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” Paul Sweeney


Monday, November 10, 2008

The Old Wine Shades

Oh how I love a good Martha Grimes, Richard Jury mystery. This installment was no exception as I breezed right through it as I could hardly put it down. The Old Wine Shades takes a different tack to Jury's traditional murder mysteries. Jury is on suspension resulting from actions in the previous novel. He is told a hardly believable story by a stranger in a bar and gets caught up by his on curiosity in the investigation. All is not as it appears, however, and Jury finds himself in a position to defend himself. Frustrating, though, Grimes leaves the situation unresolved. Of course, we know who did the deed, but Jury is unable to prove it and the novel ends. What?!? How can she (the author) do this to us. It was bad enough when Jury was shot at the end of one of her novels and left to die. Now we are left wondering if this case will ever be resolved. Well, I am still behind on this series so I guess I'll find the next installment so that I can find the answer.