“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” Paul Sweeney


Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Bride Most Begrudging

I read Deeanne Gist's A Bride Most Begrudging this week. I breezed through it rather quickly. Normally I do not consider myself a big fan of historical fiction especially romance. When I do enjoy historical fiction I prefer that of the Colonial American time period. Although the romance of this novel followed a very predictable course the story was quite interesting. This book is listed as Christian fiction, however not of the "in the face" kind that turns so many people off. The characters faith plays a central role in their lives but is not the focus of the story. The focus of the story is Cassandra, a young English Lady, kidnapped and sold as a "tobacco bride" to a farmer in 1600's Virginia. Of course they resist falling in love and of course they inevitably do anyway. A good story and I will enjoy discovering more from this author.