“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” Paul Sweeney


Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Careless in Red

Careless in Red is the latest book by Elizabeth George. I think everyone who enjoyed her Thomas Lynley series anticipated this being another installment. However, this is far from the case. That aside it was a brilliant and well written mystery. Lynley and his partner Barbara Havers have only peripheral roles in this novel. Other characters are developed to such an extent you have to wonder if the author is starting a new series. At least one of the story lines in the book have so little to do with the actual murder investigation it could have been left out entirely without much notice. Because of these details the author leaves you guessing until nearly the end. I myself didn't figure out who the murderer was until page 563 and that was pretty much when all the pieces fell into place. I admit that I have missed Lynley somewhat but have survived by reading about Richard Jury, Martha Grimes Scotland Yard Detective. The one I really missed though was Havers. She is the most down-to-earth character I've ever read about and I can relate so well to her if not her life. I hope that the author is not going to abandon these well-loved characters.