“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” Paul Sweeney


Friday, January 9, 2009

Blood Brothers

Blood Brothers is the first novel in a new series by Nora Roberts called the Sign of Seven Trilogy. I've read a lot of novels over the years by Nora Roberts and I have to admit that this one is a little out of the range of my taste. As suggested by the title of the series this novel involves demons and a battle of good and evil, white and black magic, etc. Blood Brothers introduces you to the central characters of the series. The series seems to follow a typical pattern for trilogies by Roberts in there is a central romance in each book. The first book only dabbles in the evil which is most definitely to come as the series escalates to book 3. As a Christian, I typically avoid this type of subject matter although I'm not opposed to a little magic now and then. The series seems to promise evil incarnate or the devil himself and may be a little too much for me. I enjoyed two other trilogies by Roberts involving some mysticism and the supernatural (Irish Trilogy and Three Sisters Island Trilogy). Having said all this the first novel does leave you hanging and wondering what will happen next (even as you are certain love and goodness will prevail) and I may after all read the next two in the series.