“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” Paul Sweeney


Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008 Year in Review

It looks like I read 57 books in 2008 about 15 less than 2007 but still better than a book a week. Looking back at the request of finding my favorite of the year I can't narrow it down that far. But I'm going to list a few (in no particular order) of my favorites and the reason.

1. Valley of the Horses by Jean M Auel is one of those novels that truly engrosses the reader. This is the sequel to Clan of the Cave Bear. The book tracks two separate characters until they eventually meet 2/3 the way through the novel. It is a beautiful love story but also a story of the survival of the human spirit. This is my favorite book in this series.

2. What Came Before He She Hot Her by Elizabeth George is a kind of explanation of the events that led to the death of a beloved character from George's Thomas Lynley series. But the book is also a startling look at the lives of underprivledged youth in suburn London and the choices that are made in desperation and necessity. It is a story of struggle and coming of age and loyalty.

3. The Magician's Assistant. Read my entry about this book.

4. The Smoke Jumper. This book is written by Nicholas Evans who is also the author of The Horse Whisperer, The Loop, and The Divide. This novel is a wonderfully written, emotion evoking story of love and loss.

5. The Book Thief. This book was recommended to me from some fellow bloggers. It is unlike any story I've read before. For starters, the narrator is Death, himself. He tells the tragic story of lives affected in Germany during WWII from a perspective I've never considered. The main characters are children from poor families just trying to survive and go unnoticed in a Nazi-crazed country. The writing style is unusual but the story is well told.