“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” Paul Sweeney


Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Solomon Sisters Wise Up

The Solomon Sisters Wise Up by Melissa Senate was one of those short, humorous books I've noticed lately. It is about 3 sisters whose lives all take a turn at the same time and they end up sharing a bedroom in their father's apartment. While their clueless father goes about planning his wedding to his "child bride" the sisters reestablish their relationships with each other and pick up the pieces of their lives. I enjoyed the storyline. It was written in first-person which I particularly enjoy with each sister telling her story a chapter at a time. I have to say though that it had too many swear words and taking the Lord's name in vain for my taste. Why is this necessary? The author resides in New York where the book takes place. Do all people in New York speak this way? Do they not notice that the rest of the country does not use these offensive words in everyday speech? Last year I read Julia and Julia, also written by a New Yorker and it was almost impossible to read because of the language. For the same reason I had to stop watching the Sopranos. Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned but I did not see how this added to the story. In fact I think it subtracted from the quality of the story and I'm not going to be able to recommend it.